Travel Insurance for Amateur, Elite & Professional Athletes
For over 20 years, HMIS has arranged travel insurance for athletes (amateur, elite high performance and professional) spanning a wide range of sporting codes. This has given us a unique understanding of the needs of sportsperson.
When travelling overseas, it is necessary to have insurance arrangements that are specifically tailored to your needs because standard travel insurance policies exclude claims for medical expenses arising from participation in professional and competitive sport (including training).
Each athlete’s requirements are unique.
- It is in force throughout the policy year and provides automatic cover from the time bookings are made;
- Maximum trip days – 30 – 45 days are the most common but longer other options can be accommodated;(therefore knowing your travel forecast is important); and
- There is nothing further to worry about apart from checking on the maximum number of trip days.
We approach insurance for sportspersons in the following way:
- Standard travel insurance benefits for the usual day-to-day activities;
- Separate coverage for the sporting activity ie medical expenses arising from training and participation in sport and coverage for activity /sporting equipment (we know how expensive some equipment can be).
Medical Expenses Insurance – other considerations
The scope of cover under a travel insurance policy is designed to respond to claims for emergency medical expenses and assistance that arise during overseas travel. For long stay athletes, it may be more appropriate to have an international comprehensive medical insurance policy.
In respect of dental expenses incurred overseas a travel insurance policy will only respond in respect of “pain stilling” procedure – most policies have a sub limit restricting the amount payable for dental costs.
If you have pre-existing medical conditions they must be disclosed; generally if an injury has fully healed and unlikely to re-occur it will be covered however if it has not stabilised it may still be considered as a pre-existing condition. This is an aspect that needs to be addressed with caution.
Career Ending Considerations
Each case is different; we like to personalise our relationships and to discuss matters fully with you and additionally there is value in shared mutual experience.